6.17.2009

green

I bought a pound of peas at the farmer’s market that cost me more than five dollars, and I thought, this is crazy. Five dollars for a pound of peas! But they are bright green and so so crunchy and they taste like sweet and like summer, and the peas in my garden are still only as high as my hips.

People spend five dollars on less all the time. You might spend five dollars on a beer or a pack of cigarettes or a very fancy coffee drink or a Big Mac, and I hardly spend five dollars on those things ever at all. Whereas these peas will make me happy all week long, if I don’t eat them all at once.

This evening after work I will pick up my first CSA box, filled with fruits and veggies from a farm a few miles north of town. These mysterious boxes will come once a week all summer. I don’t get to choose what’s in them - whatever is ready for picking each Wednesday morning is what I will get. Today I expect strawberries and onions and maybe beets. It’s going to get thorny when the arugula and parsnips start coming in, because what do you do with these things? I guess I will learn.

Craigslist magic has got me my first chest freezer. There’s nothing like frozen blueberries in March to remind you that the sun will be back. But it’s a not-so-fine line between throwing plastic bags of berries in the chest and pickling kohlrabi, which is more than my current putting-over proficiency allows. Sure, I jar jam. I grow carrots. But I don’t own a food mill. I don’t make my own yogurt. I’ve never brewed a beer or a jug of wine. I’m not sure where on this slippery slope of urban homesteading I will settle.

For now I’m crunching peas. I will miss going to the farmer’s market for little indulgences like this. I’ll still swing through for eggs and bread. But for the next few months my veggies will be whatever grows in my garden (the kale continues to thrive while the slugs have consumed all the pole beans) and whatever comes in the box. Lettuce, anyone? I have a whole lot of lettuce.

4 comments:

David said...

I have 2 food mills. Would you like one?

Adrienne said...

food mills are also excellent for making applesauce. and you may need to hit the Upicks for enough blueberries to freeze...

plus, upick. mmmmm

Jaime said...

Arugula is super yummy with ham and cheese! Makes sandwiches a just a little bit snazzier!

David Kutcher said...

There is no better tool than a good chest freezer. When we bought our house we inherited a standup freezer, but I still think the chest freezer was one of our best purchases.

You no longer have to make 1 or 2-meal cooking endeavors; you can take 5 large eggplants and make trays of eggplant parm and freeze it. You can make quarts of chicken stew, put it into freezer containers, and one night when you don't feel like cooking just take it out and warm it up.

And when it's pesto time, instead of making just a few pints, you can make dozens and put em into cold storage!

Life suddenly becomes worth living, all because of a chest freezer.